Pumpkin Rolls with Honey Cinnamon Butter
- Begin by gently warming the milk (do not overheat as this will kill the yeast when added). Add the sugar and yeast and leave to sit for a couple of minutes, until foamy.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, stir the yeast mixture, butter, pumpkin, and salt until well combined. Gradually add the flour and knead on medium-low speed until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Turn off the mixer and let the dough rest for 3 to 5 minutes. Continue to knead the dough on medium-low speed for another 5 minutes, or until the dough is soft and smooth. If it seems too sticky, add more flour, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Transfer the dough to a large greased bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down and turn it out onto a lightly floured work surface. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and shape into balls. Use the palm of your hand to flatten each ball slightly. With a pairing knife, cut 8 slices around each ball, being careful not to slice all the way into the centre, to make the pumpkin shape. Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F. Using the wooden end of a small utensil or your finger to poke an indentation in the centre of each roll to create a space for the “stem.” In a small bowl beat the ingredients for the glaze, and brush all over the rolls. Bake the rolls for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Place a sliced pecan piece into the indentation of each roll.
This recipe uses Almond Breeze® Barista
Makes 12 rolls
1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) instant yeast
1 cup Almond Breeze
Unsweetened, warmed slightly
50g granulated sugar
45g unsalted butter, melted
115g pumpkin puree, (alternatively use mashed butternut squash)
1 teaspoon salt
475g plain flour
Sliced pecan pieces, for the “stems”
For the glaze:
3 tbsp Almond breeze unsweetened
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp oil
For the butter:
115g butter, at room temperature (use a dairy-free butter if needed!)
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon